Overcoming Depression with Professional Help
According to the records of the Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA), over 15 million American adults are suffering from depression every year. While this number is already disturbing on its own, it is more shocking that less than 35% of depressed individuals seek professional help to get better per recent surveys.
The misconception that depression is a condition that one can simply “get over” by use of “willpower” and the stigma that comes with seeking mental health services are some of the factors why depressed individuals are not getting the help they need.
If you are battling depression for some time but haven’t seen a professional counselor to help in your recovery journey, it is best that you get in touch with Shawna Crabill, LMFT in Palos Verdes Estates, California immediately. A trained specialist like her can help you in the following ways:
- Identifying specific events and issues in your life that heavily influenced or caused your depression.
- Helping you understand and address each issue so you can learn healthy coping strategies to adapt and accept whatever situation you are in.
- Pinpointing unhealthy thoughts and unhelpful behavior patterns that contribute to further feelings of helplessness and hopelessness.
- Providing immediate relief from depression symptoms such as helping you sleep, improving your mood, and helping you reconnect with loved ones even in small ways.
- Setting doable and achievable goals for the future.
- Learning and building essential life skills that will help you cope better with your struggles and issues.
- Learning how to identify and prevent depression bouts in the future.
Remember that you do not have to suffer from depression forever but you must make the first crucial step of calling for help. If you cannot do it on your own, have a trusted family member or friend accompany you in the process.